Community Law Wellington and Hutt Valley hosts interns from Aotearoa and around the world. Interns can work in specific legal areas or you can work in our general legal service areas. Interns provide a huge amount of value at Community Law, and we try and make your time here as enjoyable and productive as possible. All internships are unpaid.
This is a great opportunity to learn more about an area of law you are interested in and gain experience working within the legal community. Interns must be willing to commit to regular office hours.
“Interning at Community Law Wellington and Hutt Valley has been an amazing experience that I will never forget. The lawyers and advocates at Community Law are very passionate and talented people, it has been a pleasure working with such a supportive team.” Kelli Ryan from California U.S.A
Overseas Intern Application Criteria
To apply you must:
- be completing tertiary education in a relevant field of study
- be able to commit to a full time internship for at least a two month period
- have a commitment to CLWHV’s vision statement that “Those with the least have the same or better access to justice as those with the most” and our goal of “embodying the Treaty of Waitangi”
- A brief cover letter explaining why you wish to intern at Community Law Wellington and Hutt Valley
- A sample of your previous written work in English or a short essay (300 words) on one of the below topics:
- A summary of the significance of The Treaty of Waitangi in New Zealand
- An issue you have been involved in relating to “Access to Justice “ in your own community
- A current C.V. including your academic history and community involvement
- Two references
We may also request a Skype interview
If you are interested in an intern position please email Naomi at email@example.com with your complete application, or get in touch with any questions you have.
New Zealand Interns
We love having interns who have studied (or are studying) law in New Zealand as it gives you a good base to start from. Most New Zealanders intern with us over the New Zealand summer and we offer several internships during this period. We occasionally advertise for short term internships during the year based on staff need. To check if we are advertising for any internships please look at our current internship page.
If you are interested in an intern position please email Naomi at firstname.lastname@example.org